Help Design the Irish Independent 1916 Commemoration Garden at Bloom
Closing Date: Saturday April 09 2016
The Irish Independent, in conjunction with Bord Bia, is inviting readers to help design a 1916 Commemoration Garden at Bloom this year. This specially-commissioned garden will be brought to life by renowned garden-designer Fiann O’Nualláin. The Irish Independent’s 1916 Commemoration Garden will be a feature at Bloom, Ireland’s largest gardening, food and family event. Run by Bord Bia, this year’s show will open from June 2nd – 6th.
The first 100 entries will each receive a pair of tickets to attend Bloom.
How to Enter
Under the theme of ‘1916’, we want you to contribute your reflection, memory, story, poem or any piece of writing, that could be transformed into the Irish Independent’s 1916 commemorative garden at Bloom. You don’t need to be a garden designer or green-fingered, we are looking for real stories or pieces of writing from real people.
The first 100 entries will each receive a pair of tickets to attend Bloom. Five short-listed entries will be profiled in the Irish Independent, and these entrants will be invited to attend the exclusive ‘Evening at Bloom’ event. The winning entry, which will be selected by our expert judging panel, will be transformed into the garden feature by renowned garden designer Fiann O Nuallain and specially-constructed to feature at Bloom in June this year. The winner will be given access to behind-the-scene construction of a Bloom showgarden.
Examples include: The eye-witness garden’ tells the story of an eye-witness account of the reading of the Proclamation by Padraig Pearse at the GPO on Easter Monday. Or ‘A soldier’s wife’ poem tells the story of a wife waiting for her husband to return home after the events of Easter 1916. Or ‘Food for thought’ – A short story depicts a day in the life of an ordinary Irish person in 1916, including a typical breakfast/lunch/dinner and how food was sourced and cooked, social interactions and communication methods.
Entries should not exceed 400 words. Picture content optional through online entry, but not a requirement.
Terms & Conditions
- The promotion is open to residents of the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland aged 18 years or over except employees of the Promoter, their families, agents or anyone professionally connected with the promotion.
- To enter the promotion, entrants must either:
- Submit your entry online at www.independent.ie/bloom1916garden on or before 5pm on Friday 1st April 2016.
Entrants may enter multiple times via postal submission and one entry is permitted per email address online.
- Entry forms will be published in the Irish Independent’s Weekend magazine on Saturday 12th, 19th and 26th March 2016.
- Responsibility will not be accepted for entries lost, damaged or delayed. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt. Entries will become the property of the Promoter.
- The prizes are as follows:
a) The first 50 entries received by post will each receive a pair of tickets for any-day entry to Bloom, 2nd – 6th June 2016 in the Phoenix Park. One pair of tickets per person.
b) The first 50 entrants online will each receive a pair of tickets for any-day entry to Bloom, 2nd – 6th June 2016 in the Phoenix Park. One pair of tickets per person.
c) 5 Shortlisted entrants will each receive an invite for two to the exclusive Evening at Bloom event on Thursday 2nd June
d) The winning entrant’s submission will be brought to life as a feature at Bloom, under the direction of Fiann O Nuallain. The winning entrant will meet with Fiann O Nuallain and will be invited to a behind-the-scene construction of the feature in advance of the event.
All prizes will be subject to any additional terms and conditions of the supplier of the prize to the Promoter.
- The Promoter shall not be liable for any loss, damage or consequential damage of any nature in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise caused by the acceptance of the terms and conditions or in connection with the prize.
- The winner will be the entrant who, in the opinion of the judges, completes the entry requirement in the most apt or original way. The decision of the Judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into. The panel of judges will include at least one member who is independent of the Promoter. The winners will be notified by phone call.
- The shortlisted entrants and winner’s details will be published in the Irish Independent newspaper and on Independent.ie. The winner’s details (name and county) will be made available on request to those writing to PO Box 11, Dublin 2 within ten weeks after the closing date, enclosing a stamped self addressed envelope.
- The winner may be required to participate in unpaid publicity arising from this promotion.
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances the Promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize for an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incomplete or illegible entries will not be accepted. Original entry forms only, no photocopies will be accepted.
- By entering the promotion all entrants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by the rules and consent to the transfer of the personal data to the Data Controller for the purposes of the administration of this promotion and for any other purpose to which the entrant has consented. All entry instructions form part of the rules.
- The Promoter reserves the right to amend the terms and conditions.
- Prizes are non transferrable and cannot be exchanged for cash.
- These terms and conditions shall be governed by Irish law and the Courts of the Republic of Ireland shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
- Promoter and Data Controller: Independent News & Media, Independent House, 27-32 Talbot St, Dublin 1.